Artist, Producer, Engineer
Tiki Taane is a multi-platinum award winning artist and considered a pioneer in the New Zealand music scene with a career spanning over 20 years. Rising to prominence as a member of leading New Zealand band Salmonella Dub, Tiki progressed from sound engineer to fully fledged front man and penned some of the bands biggest hits including “Love Your Ways” and “For the Love of It” amongst others.
Since embarking on his solo artist career in January 2007, Tiki has gone from strength to strength, becoming one of New Zealand’s most popular and diverse award-winning artists renowned as much for his powerful live performances as he is for his anthems.
Doubling as an audio engineer for top drum n bass groundbreakers Shapeshifter, Tiki is also renowned as a remix producer and gifted performance MC who has a solid reputation for boosting shows, musical works and recordings worldwide.
In November 07, he released his debut LP "Past Present Future" through his own label Dirty Dub which achieved double platinum sales and picked up a swag of awards. His beautiful acoustic love ballad “Always On My Mind” rose to No. 1 and broke two all-time NZ records - it sat in the charts for a record 54 weeks and was also the first-ever digital single to achieve platinum sales.
In July 09, Tiki released his remix album “FLUX” and in March 2011 Tiki pushed himself further than ever before as both a vocalist and a producer with his brand new album ‘In the World Of Light’ which rose immediately to number 1 in the charts.
Although affectionately known as ‘King of the Dubs’ in NZ, Tiki’s musical influences and appeal are broad, traversing from dubstep, traditional style reggae, old school drum and bass and hip-hop, to more contemporary pop/rock sensibilities. ‘In the World of Light’ draws on all of these influences.
In 2011, Tiki's collaboration with dubstep king Optimus Gryme "My Lion" was reworked as soundtrack for the Rugby World Cup Opening Ceremony, viewed by millions worldwide. That year he also produced the debut studio album (self-titled) for NZ band Six60 which upon its first week hit No. 1 on the chart and was certified Gold. Tiki has also produced albums for The Adults and Shapeshifter.
Fostering a strong artist community and collaborative mind set has always been part of Tiki’s ethos and this record is no exception. Teaming up with Dubstep heavyweights Truth, Optimus Gryme, Bulletproof and Crushington, Tiki also collaborates with Drum n Bass legends Concord Dawn and Sambora as well as newcomer DUBXL. Drawing on the powerful vocal talents of Hollie Smith, Moana Maniapoto, Spanish superstar Bebe and his own father Uekaha Taane (who also appeared on his debut album), Tiki's proficiency as a visionary producer makes this release the most progressive project he has produced to date.
Releasing all his music through his own label Dirty Dub, Tiki also works with label Stop Start in Australia for his Aussie releases and is currently working on a highly-anticipated live album for release in 2012 in both countries.
- Best Male Solo Artist - VODAFONE NZ MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Best Electronica Album (In The World Of Light) - VODAFONE NZ MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Best Maori Album (In The World Of Light) - VODAFONE NZ MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Best Maori Song (Starship Lullaby) - WAIATA MAORI MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Best Maori Songwriter - WAIATA MAORI MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Best Male Solo Artist - WAIATA MAORI MUSIC AWARDS 11
- Radio Airplay Maori Artist of the Year - WAIATA MAORI MUSIC AWARDS 09
- Radio Airplay Artist Of The Year - VODAFONE NZ MUSIC AWARDS 09
- Most Popular Ringtone (Always On My Mind) - TELECOM MUSIC AWARDS 09
- Highest-Selling Ringtone (Always On My Mind) - TELECOM MUSIC AWARDS 09
- Best Maori Male Solo Artist - WAIATA MAORI MUSIC AWARDS 08
- Honourable Mention (Tangaroa Music Video) - IMAGINENATIVE MEDIA FESTIVAL 08
- Best Roots Album (Past Present Future) - VODAFONE TUI NZ MUSIC AWARDS 08
- Best Video Artist - JUICE TV AWARDS 08
- Best Solo Video (Always On My Mind) - JUICE TV AWARDS 08
- No. 1 Release for 2007 (Past Present Future LP) - AMPLIFIER AWARDS 07